Have a vehicle build or question, post here!
By adamK1500
How do I weld that inner plate to the frame? It sticks about an eight to a quarter inch off of the frame..
By adamK1500
i could clamp it down but the sleeves are what keep the plate from laying flush. Do i need to cut the sleeves down to make room?
By Weasel
Either grind them down so it's flush or enlarge the holes on the inner plate so the sleeve stick through it. I would enlarge the holes before cutting down the sleeves.
By axleater
Either grind them down so it's flush or enlarge the holes on the inner plate so the sleeve stick through it.  I would enlarge the holes before cutting down the sleeves.

yes do that

is this some kind of kit?

i have never seen that much work go into putting an IFS box on a straight axle frame.

1-put on sleeve on top of the frame for the top bolt,
2. drill 2 new holes in the frame for the other two bolts
3 put the sleeves in the holes,
4 bolt the box on to keep in straight and happy,
5 tack weld the insides and top ,
6 pull the box off and weld em up!
7 bolt the box back on and hook it up

plating the frame doesn't really hurt anything but after you add hydro assist you won't really have any stress on the frame anyway.

if you are adding a bunch of plate to the frame then make sure it fit's flush to the frame everywhere, cut hole saw holes in it to weld in the midle as well as just the outsides
make sure the sleeves go all the way through the plates and frame. make the edges like this < > instead of | | so that you have more material to weld to and you don't give yourself a straight line to promote cracking in the future.
By adamK1500
its the kit from trail gear. I'll just make sure every thing is flush and weld it up. thanks for the help guys!
By adamK1500
[quote]Either grind them down so it's flush or enlarge the holes on the inner plate so the sleeve stick through it.  I would enlarge the holes before cutting down the sleeves.

yes do that

is this some kind of kit? 

i have never seen that much work go into putting an IFS box on a straight axle frame.   

1-put on sleeve on top of the frame for the top bolt,
2. drill 2 new holes in the frame for the other two bolts
3 put the sleeves in the holes,
4 bolt the box on to keep in straight and happy,
5 tack weld the insides and top ,
6 pull the box off and weld em up! 
7 bolt the box back on and hook it up

plating the frame doesn't really hurt anything but after you add hydro assist you won't really have any stress on the frame anyway.

if you are adding a bunch of plate to the frame then make sure it fit's flush to the frame everywhere, cut hole saw holes in it to weld in the midle as well as just the outsides
make sure the sleeves go all the way through the plates and frame.  make the edges like this <  >  instead of |   |   so that you have more material to weld to and you don't give yourself  a straight line to promote cracking in the future.

I've been clamping and heating the inside plate to try and get it flush to the frame, it's 3/16 thick and i can't get it closer than about an eighth. should i just call it good and weld it?

also, what is the best way to get the pitman arm on straight.. or in the middle so it turn evenly left and right.
By axleater
drill some holesaw holes in your plate so you can weld the middle sections up as well as the outside otherwise it really isn't doing you any good. this will also help you mold it to the frame for a nice tight fit. any gaps between that plate and the frame itself will cause corrosion and strength problems down the road.

clamp it, heat it, and beat it. repeat !
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]