Have a vehicle build or question, post here!
By axleater
I would never claim to be a mechanic, or an automotive engineer. Somethings in the automotive world are just beyond my minds ability to comprehend. I will be attempting to change one of those things on this little project.

The victim is a 1988 Jeep Yj with a 258 and a 5 speed. It runs terrible for a number of reasons. Sitting around for a couple of years hasn't helped but the reason it sat around was because 3 different shops in town couldn't make it run for any amount of time or money. The factory carb has plenty of known inadequacies. The factory ignition leaves a bit to be desired. The miles of aged vacuum hoses are prone to leaks. Underneath all that cap is still just a good old 258 6 cylinder that should only need a little gas and a little spark to run like a champ.

A while back Big Mike was in town ( in case you didn't know he has forgotten more about making motors run than most of us will ever know). We were talking about the YJ and how lil'Abner used to have a hopped up 258 with a motorcraft carb than ran better than most V-8's. We both agreed that an up to date ignition and a motorcraft 2100 carb should bring this little YJ back to life.

Turns out we are not the only ones that had that thought. A little research on the old interweb and I found Gronk Performance who just happens to make a kit to install a rebuilt 2100 on the 258.

Timbo and lil'abner both had great luck with Gmail style distributer on AMC V-8's so one of those was procured as well.

Follow along as I try to get this little fella back on it's feet again.
By axleater
20150130_111728.jpg
A first look under the hood is a little overwhelming for a clown like me. How in the Sam heck is anything supposed to run with the miles of vacuum lines and a computer that runs the carburator? All of this stuff should be able to go away but how do you decide what to keep? Why are there 3 sensors in the intake manifold? Why are there plugs with multiple wires going to them that aren't plugged into anything? How is a of this helpful in making a carburator work better?

Google is my friend and a little more research confirms my initial thouhts. A whole lot of this stuff can get tossed to make room for the new ignition and carb.
Attachments
20150130_105313.jpg
20150130_111710.jpg
By axleater
Although not completely necessary, the dash needs to come out to access and remove the computer. I could just cut the wire and stuff them behind the dash but I also have to sleep at night. The main wiring harness was opened up and dash remove to start the "unwiring" process.
Attachments
20150130_101452.jpg
20150130_114227.jpg
By axleater
For the record, yes is the answer. I am already thinking an LS swap would be easier if not less time consuming.
By axleater
The dash is loose, I guess I didn't need to take out all 170 screw after all. Lesson learned. And new dash is seriously being considered....
Attachments
20150130_121738.jpg
By axleater
What a mess! Now to get rid of all the wires that really should not have been there in the first place.

According to all the research I have looked through, if you are a drinking man, now would be a good time to start.
Attachments
20150130_125106.jpg
20150130_125158.jpg
By axleater
Thinning comleted. (I hope). Now on to distributer install and hope I didn't take out too much!
Attachments
20150130_144957.jpg
20150130_144655.jpg
By axleater
With all those stupid wires moved out of the way I could finally see the distributor. Marked where #1 plug wire is located and pulled the plugs and wires out and off.

This is where you are supposed to move the crank shaft to find TDC on #1 cylinder. I thought it would also be a good time to do a compression test just for giggles. Should be able to jump the starter so lino I'd and turn it over right? Well that didn't work so now I need to do a little testing to make the starter spin this thing over.
Attachments
20150130_182013.jpg
By axleater
Now the cat, aptly named CJ, stops by to let me know she thinks I am screwed as well.
Attachments
IMG_20150130_165924_748.jpg
By axleater
Just a quick comparison:

New carb ( which is actually pretty old)

And the old carb ( which is ironically pretty old as well but still newer than the new carb)
Attachments
20150130_190231.jpg
20150130_190208.jpg
long long title how many chars? lets see 123 ok more? yes 60

We have created lots of YouTube videos just so you can achieve [...]

Another post test yes yes yes or no, maybe ni? :-/

The best flat phpBB theme around. Period. Fine craftmanship and [...]

Do you need a super MOD? Well here it is. chew on this

All you need is right here. Content tag, SEO, listing, Pizza and spaghetti [...]

Lasagna on me this time ok? I got plenty of cash

this should be fantastic. but what about links,images, bbcodes etc etc? [...]